I love to eat but there are certain foods that I just can’t stomach. In some cases, the texture freaks me out or the flavor conjures an unfortunate association. In other cases, the smell is a complete turnoff. There’s a chance I will get over some of my aversions, with the exception of 9 foods that bother me so much that I’ll never prepare them, let alone make Mason eat them. He’s certainly welcome to try anything on my list — as long as he doesn’t expect mama to make it! What’s your icky food list?
1. Runny eggs. The mucus-like texture, the fear of salmonella.
2. Liver. Cliche but one bite of this stuff is the most I’ll ever have.
3. Jell-O. I don’t like the way it slithers down my throat. Or the way gelatin is made.
4. Squab. If you’re a New Yorker, you get it.
5. Ostrich. It’s tough, leathery…or maybe that’s just the way it was prepared when I tried it.
6. Rabbit . The one thing here I’ve never tried. My childhood pets Sugar, Candy, and Amos would never forgive me.
7. Veal. I’m morally opposed to it and I find the smell and flavor repulsive.
8. Super thin, runny yogurt. Texture issue all the way.
9. Eel. Not a fan of the leathery, chewy texture, and I had the unfortunate experience of seeing one once.
Photo from freedigitalphotos.net