Best for 1-Years-Old & Up
Now that Mason’s been in daycare for two weeks, we’re settling into our new morning routine. We’re still working out the kinks: Should I wake up Mason if he sleeps past 7 or let him sleep and cut breakfast short? What’s the best time to give him breakfast so he poos before he’s strapped into the Ergo — not right after? Which is faster, the bus or the subway? I’ve learned that the more I can organize the night before, from what we’ll each wear to what we need to take with us, the smoother our morning will go. Breakfast requires the most foresight. I want Bug to get a good start to his day, but I don’t have much time to put the morning meal together. Here are his fave weekday breakfasts right now. They’re so quick I can put him in his high chair with some puffs and he’s entertained until his food is ready. What are your go-to breakfasts?
1. Omelet with cheese and veggies, sliced banana, and whole-wheat toast with fruit jam. (Hint: If your babe is spitting out cut up veggies, puree a few faves and spread a layer of the puree on top of the cheese in the omelet.)
2. Whole-grain strawberry-banana waffles, Greek yogurt, and chicken sausage.
3. Oatmeal mixed with peach puree and Greek yogurt and Canadian bacon.
4. Blueberry yogurt, granola, and fresh cantaloupe.
5. Scrambled eggs with tomato and spinach, applesauce, and whole-grain toast.
6. Toasted cinnamon-raisin bagel with low-fat cream cheese and fresh orange slices.
7. Pancakes topped with cinnamon-spiced fruit and chicken sausage.