I’m always on the lookout for snacks that can live in the diaper bag for those five-alarm snack “emergencies.” You’ve been there. Your babe is bored, tired, annoyed, or just generally peeved and then he suddenly decides he’s hungry too, even though he just ate an hour ago. He emits a glass-shattering series of shrieks that demand immediate attention. A snack is in order this minute. For us, the greatest snack attacks always happen at the worst times — while we’re trapped on a stalled subway train, stuck in major traffic, waiting for food to arrive at a quiet restaurant, or in church.
A few weeks ago, I blogged about an organic cheesy cracker that Mason loves to snack on. But Mason also eats a lot of gluten-free foods because his mom is a snackaholic who follows a gluten-free diet. Bug doesn’t appear to be gluten-intolerant like I am (thank goodness), but there are so many good gluten-free snacks that we frequently share. Here’s a list of our current gluten-free faves, in no particular order — all packaged items that you can keep in the diaper bag, your kid’s backpack, or in the car.
1. Gluten-Free Sesame Ring Pretzels by Glutino — so good it’s nearly impossible to tell they’re gluten-free
2. Gluten-Free Pretzel Sticks by Glutino — crunchy, fun to eat and great to dip
3. Multigrain Tortilla Chips by Food Should Taste Good — satisfying and healthier than potato chips
4. Gluten-Free Cheddar Crackers by Glutino — rich, delish cheesy flavor in a thin, crispy cracker
5. Rice Chex — crunchy, light, and easy to eat
6. Organic dried fruit — look for varieties without added sugar or preservatives in natural food stores
7. Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies by Tate’s Bake Shop — the ultimate sweet snack
What are your go-to snacks for the car or subway?